hbase-dev mailing list archives

From N Keywal <nkey...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hbase mttr vs. hdfs
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2012 22:16:34 GMT
Hi Todd,

Do you think the change would be too intrusive for hdfs? I aggree,
there are many less critical components in hadoop :-). I was hoping
that this state could be internal to the NN and could remain localized
without any interface change...

Your proposal would help for sure. I see 3 points if we try to do it
for specific functions like recovery.
 - we would then need to manage the case when all 3 nodes timeouts
after 1s, hoping that two of them are wrong positive...
 - the writes between DN would still be with the old timeout. I didn't
look in details at the impact. It won't be an issue for single box
crash, but for large failure it could.
 - we would want to change it to for the ipc.Client as well. Note sure
if the change would not be visible to all functions.

What worries me about setting very low timeouts is that it's difficult
to validate, it tends to work until it goes to production...

I was also thinking of making the deadNodes list public in the client,
so hbase could tell to the DFSClient: 'this node is dead, I know it
because I'm recovering the RS', but it would have some false positive
(software region server crash), and seems a little like a
workaround...

In the middle (thinking again about your proposal), we could add a
function in hbase that would first check the DNs owning the WAL,
trying to connect with a 1s timeout, to be able to tell the DFSClient
who's dead.
Or we could put this function in DFSClient, a kind of boolean to say
fail fast on dn errors for this read...