hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Wondering what hbck should do in this situation
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2012 17:50:29 GMT
On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM, Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan
<ramkrishna.vasudevan@huawei.com> wrote:
> J-d
> Corrections, if META does not have an entry then we cannot know if it is
> splitted or not.. Apologies for that.
>
> I think we need to check for Reference files and if the opening fails we
> need to report it.  That should be the way.
> But we should also confirm whether this region was split properly, right?

That's what I'm wondering about. It seems to me that hbck currently is
overly aggressive fixing things (see also HBASE-6417 where it merged
.META.). So should we have all the heuristics to detect problems and
then add the corner cases after as people find them? Or should we let
the users decide what should be fixed? It could be that we should ask
more questions to the users. I'm thinking out loud here.

J-D