hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: How to merge regions?
Date Sat, 21 Jul 2012 09:18:00 GMT
On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 7:18 AM, Ionut Ignatescu
<ionut.ignatescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Please provide me some extra-info:
> - what I have to add in the new record added to .META.?
> Basically, the region info has all info from HRegionInfo object created
> using startKey,endKey and table + column descritpr. But how to set the other
> columns?Or are them necceassry?

The .META. info:regioninfo column has a serialized HRegionInfo in it.
To get the HRegionInfo serialized bytes, see line #284 in
bin/region_mover.rb: e.g.

#284     bytes = Writables.getBytes(r)

See how at top of script it imports Writables.

You can then put the above bytes into the meta table.  Suggest you
practise in a standalone instance rather than prod install.

If you want to java it, check out HBaseFsck for how it does .META. edits.

See also bin/copy_table.rb.  See how it does .META. edits.
> -Also in HDFS I have to create the folders for columns families?
> Ex: /hbase/table/regionXX/colFam1
> /hbase/table/regionXX/colFam2

You don't need to.  They'll be created if absent.  You just need to
get the .META. edits right.

St.Ack