hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: For HBase compactions - Lucene's IO impact reduction code
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2012 11:07:16 GMT
On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Ted Yu <yuzhihong@gmail.com> wrote:
> I created HBASE-6351 with Otis's comments.
>
> Let's continue discussion from there.

I'd suggest not being so quick moving discussion up to JIRA.

See Karl Fogel on this topic in his oldie but a goodie "Producing Open
Source Software":

"Make sure the bug tracker doesn't turn into a discussion forum.
Although it is important to maintain a human presence in the bug
tracker, it is not fundamentally suited to real-time discussion. Think
of it rather as an archiver, a way to organize facts and references
to other discussions, primarily those that take place on mailing lists.

"There are two reasons to make this distinction. First, the bug
tracker is more cumbersome to use than the mailing lists (or than
real-time chat forums, for that matter). This is not because bug
trackers have bad user interface design, it's just that their interfaces
were designed for capturing and presenting discrete states, not
free-flowing discussions. Second, not everyone who should be
involved in discussing a given issue is necessarily watching the bug
tracker. Part of good issue management...is to make sure each issue
is brought to the right peoples' attention, rather than requiring every
developer to monitor all issues. In the section called “No
Conversations in the Bug Tracker” in
Chapter 6, Communications, we'll look at ways to make sure people
don't accidentally siphon discussions out of appropriate forums
and into the bug tracker."

Pg. 50 of http://producingoss.com/en/producingoss.pdf

In general, I'd be in favor of there being more discussion on dev list.

St.Ack