hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: hbase mttr vs. hdfs
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 19:51:52 GMT
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM, N Keywal <nkeywal@gmail.com> wrote:
> To me we should fix this, and this includes HBASE-6401. The question
> is mainly on which hdfs branch hbase would need it, as HDFS code
> changed between the 1.0.3 release and the branch 2. HADOOP-8144 is
> also important for people configuring the topology imho.

It's an interesting question if the HDFS 2 write/append pipeline is
superior to the HDFS 1 one. I've seen a common opinion that it is
indeed superior (as in, does not have known bugs) but have not had the
bandwidth to validate this personally. For us, it's mostly a moot
point, we are planning our next production generation to be on HDFS 2
so we can run a truly HA (hot failover) NN configuration, perferably
with the Quorum Journal approach to edit log sharing (HDFS-3077).

Best regards,

   - Andy

Hein (via Tom White)