hbase-dev mailing list archives

From "Ionut Ignatescu" <ionut.ignate...@gmail.com>
Subject How to merge regions?
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2012 14:40:19 GMT
Hi all,

My use case: I have several tables with key starting with a timestamp. Also,
this tables have set data retention to 30 days.

Table size is around 1Tb(3Tb replicated) and data is inserted regular(on
5minute, ~200Mb is inserted).

File size is set to 1Gb. I have this tables in use for almost half an year
and now a table has around 6k partitions and

40% of them are empty.

The problem: the number of regions per region server is now pretty high.

Questions:

Which approach is better?

- to merge adjacent empty partitions in a bigger one?

- to merge empty partitions to non-empty partitions?

Also, I'm wondering why regions merge is not part of major compactions and
why it's necessary to stop the

entire fleet to solve this problem.