hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Rodionov <vrodio...@carrieriq.com>
Subject RE: Shared HDFS for HBase and MapReduce
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 04:23:11 GMT
You can share HBase and MR if you run MR jobs only to process data off HBase and do not use
HBase for real-time queries
It is not generally advisable to share live (real-time) HBase cluster and run MR jobs at the
same time as since HDFS can get easily saturated
by MR jobs and you will have much worse HBase query latency and overall query throughput.

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com
e-mail: vrodionov@carrieriq.com

From: saint.ack@gmail.com [saint.ack@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Stack [stack@duboce.net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 9:07 PM
To: dev@hbase.apache.org
Cc: hbase-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Shared HDFS for HBase and MapReduce

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 8:29 PM, Atif Khan <atif_ijaz_khan@hotmail.com> wrote:
> My first thoughts were to create a single HDFS cluster, and then point the
> MapReduce and HBase servers to use the common HDFS installation.  However,
> Cloudera's Dos and Don'ts page
> (http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2011/04/hbase-dos-and-donts/) insists that
> MapReduce and HBase should not share an HDFS cluster.  Rather they should
> have their own individual clusters.  I don't understand this recommendation,
> as it would result in moving data around from one HDFS cluster to another
> when running MapReduce over HBase.

It starts out "Be careful when running mixed workloads on an HBase
cluster."  Does your use case fit the case described: "...SLAs on
hbase access" and at the same time running heavy mapreduce jobs on
same cluster?  If so, you may want to do the suggested two clusters.

I'd suggest you start w/ all on the one cluster and see how you do.
That post is > a year old.  HBase has gotten steadily better since.

St.Ack