hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Enis Söztutar <e...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: HBase security research
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2012 18:04:08 GMT
Hi,

This sounds interesting. I cannot comment on the research / paper aspects
of your work, but from my experience, there are different considerations
for implementing something for research and the open source side of things.
If you are interested in getting your work into the project, the best way
might not be forking the project now, and sometime later, pointing to the
forked code, which will have a lot of core changes. And it will be
extremely difficult to merge your code back.

Again, if you are interested in contributing back, I would suggest, opening
a jira, and describing the problem you are trying to solve, with a high
level roadmap of the changes. Then, if there is some interest, PMC can even
create a branch in svn, or you can manage a branch yourself. Then you can
 open subtasks, for each discrete change you propose, and work on that.
This will also guarantee, that at least some parts of your work can be
merged back, and the committers can easily evaluate your patches.

Cheers,
Enis