hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Shared HDFS for HBase and MapReduce
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 04:07:25 GMT
On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 8:29 PM, Atif Khan <atif_ijaz_khan@hotmail.com> wrote:
> My first thoughts were to create a single HDFS cluster, and then point the
> MapReduce and HBase servers to use the common HDFS installation.  However,
> Cloudera's Dos and Don'ts page
> (http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2011/04/hbase-dos-and-donts/) insists that
> MapReduce and HBase should not share an HDFS cluster.  Rather they should
> have their own individual clusters.  I don't understand this recommendation,
> as it would result in moving data around from one HDFS cluster to another
> when running MapReduce over HBase.

It starts out "Be careful when running mixed workloads on an HBase
cluster."  Does your use case fit the case described: "...SLAs on
hbase access" and at the same time running heavy mapreduce jobs on
same cluster?  If so, you may want to do the suggested two clusters.

I'd suggest you start w/ all on the one cluster and see how you do.
That post is > a year old.  HBase has gotten steadily better since.

St.Ack