hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Some suggestions for future features
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 18:43:47 GMT
On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Vladimir Rodionov
<vrodionov@carrieriq.com> wrote:

> 1. Custom Key, KeyValue, Row Comparators (per HTable). I went through the 0.92 API and
it seems that adding this feature is going to be hard task. There are a lot of places all
over HBase source code
> where KeyValue static class members are accessed directly.

Yes.  Its our most fundamental class.  Its tough to change since it
there are a bunch of perf. fixes and a bunch of the upper tiers key
off its format (and as you note, make direct calls against this
class).

That said, there is pressure building that KV should be an Interface
only because others want to mess w/ its implementation (improve our
cachability, compression).

What would you like to do Vladimir?  You want to change comparators?

> 2.Compaction callback. Can be HTable as well. Something like this one:
>
> public interface CompactionCallback<KeyValue>
> {
>     public void preCompact(KeyValue kv, CompactionContext ctx)
> }

Is this not in Coproccessors now?  See trunk.  See Compactor.java down
around #136 where the scanner used compacting is overrideable.

St.Ack