hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rethinking REST (Re: HBASE-4368 and friends)
Date Sat, 09 Jun 2012 17:10:18 GMT
After asking the question with more thought I'm leaning to an opposing
view. See HBASE-6193. Other points of view are welcome.

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 1:50 AM, Ulrich Staudinger
<ustaudinger@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi there,
>
> just some two cent from my side. first of all, it is a great idea. in
> the activequant master server, i also embed a simple jetty server that
> answers requests for domain specific data over plain http. tools like
> R or matlab prefer to receice plain csv data instead of json.
> particularly for fetching large amounts of data, the protocol overhead
> of json is immense. second, these tools can easily parse csv, as can
> excel, qlikview or other usual end user tools.
>
> so, i suggest to think about two questions:
>
> 1) what are the use cases
> 2) what's the output format.
>
> on (2), i suggest to implement it in a flexible way, so that we can,
> for example, implement a specific interface and have a new output and
> input format writer implementation.
>
> if anyone starts a wiki page somewhere, i would be happy to review and
> contribute some use cases along with descriptions.
>
> +1.
>

> cheers,
> ulrich
>

> --
> connect on xing or linkedin. sent from my tablet.
>
> On 27.05.2012, at 02:18, Andrew Purtell <andrew.purtell@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On May 26, 2012, at 3:33 PM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:

port, where they differ, and more generally re-embed REST into the processes, like the recent
Thrift server embedding in the RS? This would be a new alternative to the current REST gateway
that would function more like HDFS httpfs: a client can contact any RS with a RESTful operation
on a table, and it will be redirected via the HTTP standard mechanism to the RS actually hosting
the target region. And beside such a client API, these admin functions like 4368 and the JMX
export over HTTP we inherit from Hadoop core.

>>> An integrated REST server could answer questions about the
>>> regionserver it was on.  It could return list of regions and metrics
>>> for the server.  +1.
>>>
>>> Would the REST server above that answer queries on the regionserver be
>>> the same as the REST server that we currently have which fields
>>> queries against hbase tables?  They seem to be different things?
>>
>> If there is an embedded REST server in every RS it could serve admin interfaces,
or client interfaces, or both. There doesn't necessarily need be a separate REST gateway,
though having one makes sense. Asking the question.