hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Lars George <lars.geo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Metrics in 0.96
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2012 15:54:01 GMT
Hi Andy,

Yes, that is exactly the plan. I am sure we have areas where we simply lack metrics, I have
noted this down somewhere and will dig up the details. It would also consolidate (and close
out) all open "Improve HBase Metrics" JIRAs.

Lars

On Jun 15, 2012, at 5:41 PM, Andrew Purtell wrote:

> +1
>
> And at the same time IMHO it's worth asking if we have everything covered with a meaningful
metric, and add if missing, as well as remove those not useful.

> Metrics2 is in Hadoop core 1 and 2. There was a backport into 1 at some point but the
latest (1.0.3) has it for sure.

>    - Andy
>
> On Jun 15, 2012, at 8:07 AM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 1:07 AM, Lars George <lars.george@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I propose that we clean up the metrics for 0.96 as well (if that is not already
underway. This includes switching to Hadoop Metrics v2 and adding all missing stats, as well
as fixing those that are misleading or useless. For that reason I talked to our friends at
Sematext during the Buzzwords HBase workshop, as well as to our internal HBase team. We all
seem to agree and I'd be happy to setup some sort of call/task force to discuss what we need
to work on etc. Obviously I would love for someone from the FB team to also partake as they
have done heaps lately on that end - but I also understand if that is a timing issue.

>>> What do y'all think? My reasoning is that 0.96 might become 1.0, but I would
love for the metrics to be stable by then.