hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Iancu <daniel.ia...@1and1.ro>
Subject Re: Some suggestions for future features
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2012 16:47:27 GMT

>> 3. Row prefix delete operation - Delete all rows which starts with a 'prefix'
> This is interesting.
>
> Worth considering a Delete API that takes a Scan (or equivalent*) as argument?
>
> * - Possibly pulling up the start row, stop row, filter chain fields
> of Scan into a more generic object that can be passed to such an API
> and extended by Scan, if the use of Scan in an API like Delete leads
> in consensus opinion to a mixed metaphor.

We have a use case where we need to delete columns but we don't know
their rows. We run a Scan on a range of rows and custom-filter the rows
containg the columns to be deleted. Then we delete all the columns from
the Scan result. This is a 2 step operation and it implies networks
traffic.  We've started to implement a coprocessor to move the Scan and
Delete at RS level but, if the API above can delete also columns and not
entire rows then it will be welcomed :)