hbase-dev mailing list archives

From "Pan, Thomas" <th...@ebay.com>
Subject Some thoughts on freaky unit tests
Date Thu, 24 May 2012 06:52:06 GMT

A small take-away from today's stackathon after discussing freaky unit tests with Jonathon,
Nicolas, Stack, and Ted as I bumped into them, which fail from time to time, particularly
when I run all the tests. We've just covered two small cases:

  1.  When all test suites are running in the same JVM, if different test suites require different
configuration of the same singleton object, most of the time, only one test suite could succeed.
  2.  When a piece of testing code issues some action, such as splitting a region, to HBase,
it will take time to finish. Most time, it is quick. Sometimes, it takes a while. The safer
way is to make sure all the transactions related to the action really finish before verify
the result of the action. Nicolas showed me the piece of code to get the information under
the mini cluster setup. I am asking Stack on how to do that by querying zookeeper directly.

$0.02,
Thomas