hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: ANN: The third hbase 0.94.0 release candidate is available for download
Date Sat, 12 May 2012 21:50:41 GMT
On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Mikael Sitruk <mikael.sitruk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the clarifications St.Ack.
> Still I have some questions in regards of 3 in scenario discussed -  when a
> region is offline it means that client operation are not possible on it
> (even read)?

Correct.

> In case a second master is up (in an environment with multiple master), i
> presume all this occurs unless the second master (slave) become the master,
> right? how long those it take for a "slave" master to become a master??

It takes seconds roughly for new master to assume master role and to
figure the state of the cluster.

The processing of a failed server though can take seconds, minutes, or
even hours at an extreme where the server was running with
pathological configs.  How long to process WALs is a function of the
number of WAL files the server was carrying in need of replay and the
number of servers available to participate in the distributed log
splitting affair.

Ask more questions Mikael,
St.Ack