hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LZ4 compression support
Date Thu, 17 May 2012 05:49:42 GMT
It's on the to do list: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-5838

On May 16, 2012, at 8:17 PM, Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> (almost 3 months old thread)
>
> LZ4 perf test numbers in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-7657?focusedCommentId=13170733&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13170733
looks pretty impressive.  Why do you think HBase users would not see perf difference in HBase?
 We saw it when we moved from LZO to Snappy.

<lakshman.ch@huawei.com>; 'Stack' <stack@duboce.net>
>> Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:20 PM
>> Subject: RE: LZ4 compression support
>>
>> LZ4 is slightly faster than snappy (from my own tests) but I really doubt that anyone
will see performance difference in HBase
>> (or in Hadoop)
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Vladimir Rodionov
>> Principal Platform Engineer
>> Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com

attachments hereto, may be confidential and is intended to be read only by the individual
or entity to whom this message is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient or an agent or designee of the intended recipient, please note that any review,
use, disclosure or distribution of this message or its attachments, in any form, is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender
and/or Notifications@carrieriq.com and delete or destroy any copy of this message and its
attachments.