hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Rodionov <vrodio...@carrieriq.com>
Subject RE: keyvalue cache
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 06:03:54 GMT
Usually make sense for tables with random mostly access (point queries) For short-long scans
block cache is preferable.
Cassandra has it (Row cache) but as since they cache the whole row (which can be very large)
in many cases
it has sub par performance. Make sense to make caching configurable: table can use key-value
cache and do not use block cache
and vice verse.

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com
e-mail: vrodionov@carrieriq.com

From: Enis Söztutar [enis@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 3:34 PM
To: dev@hbase.apache.org
Subject: keyvalue cache

Hi,

Before opening the issue, I though I should ask around first. What do you
think about a keyvalue cache sitting on top of the block cache? It is
mentioned in the big table paper, and it seems that zipfian kv access
patterns might benefit from something like this a lot. I could not find
anybody who proposed that before.

What do you guys think? Should we pursue a kv query-cache. My gut feeling
says that especially for some workloads we might gain significant
performance improvements, but we cannot verify it, until we implement and
profile it, right?

Thanks,
Enis