hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Enis Söztutar <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: keyvalue cache
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 22:55:08 GMT
I think you are right that if you replicate the row MVCC semantics in the
cache, then
you can get a consistent view. I was referring to a more client side
approach.

I guess the take aways are:
 - forget about scans, and shoot for point gets, which I agree
 - per-kv cache overhead might be huge, but still worth trying it out.
 - can also be architected on top of coprocessors
 - might be complex to implement, but still some use cases would benefit a
lot.
 - row cache / family cache / kv cache

Thanks for all the input!

Enis

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Matt Corgan <mcorgan@hotpads.com> wrote:

> A client-side memcached setup can stay pretty consistent if you send all of
> your puts and deletes through it before sending them to hbase, but yeah, I
> guess you lose strict consistency under heavy read/write from multiple
> simultaneous clients.  But, like Andy is saying, if you route the requests
> through the regionserver and it talks to memcached/hazelcast, couldn't that
> be fully consistent?
>

> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > I thought about trying this out once with a coprocessor, hooking the
> Gets,
> > with an embedded Hazelcast. That would just be a proof of concept. The
> idea
> > is to scale the KV cache independent of regionserver limits (maybe we're
> > only giving 1 GB per RS to the value cache and a 10 GB region is hot) and
> > the next step could be modifying the client to spread read load over
> > replicas (HBASE-2357). This doesn't consider scans either.
> >

> > Best regards,
> >
> >     - Andy

> > (via Tom White)

What