hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Yu <yuzhih...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Pull instant schema updating out?
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2012 16:23:09 GMT
Has any change been done in the past half year on "Online schema update" ?

When we make such an important decision, we should evaluate various
factors. "Instant schema alter" has better design: it endures master
failover.

If the following tests can be written for "Online schema update" and pass,
I would vote for it:
src/test/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/client/TestInstantSchemaChange.java
src/test/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/client/TestInstantSchemaChangeFailover.java
src/test/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/client/TestInstantSchemaChangeSplit.java

Otherwise I am -1 on pulling "Instant schema alter"

There is more work to be done: reduce the noise posed by MonitoredTask,
throttling, etc. But these are not difficult tasks.