hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Pull instant schema updating out?
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2012 06:07:33 GMT
I did a superficial review of HBASE-4213 and remember I was quite exited about the promise
of the change at
that time. If the problem is just with the MonitoredTask behavior (as indicated in HBASE-5702)
I'd say we try to fix that.

-- Lars

________________________________
 From: Stack <stack@duboce.net>
To: dev@hbase.apache.org; lars hofhansl <lhofhansl@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, April 2, 2012 9:05 PM
Subject: Re: Pull instant schema updating out?

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM, lars hofhansl <lhofhansl@yahoo.com> wrote:
> How much duplicate code are we talking about? Do these share common code to close/open
the regions, or is it a completely different code path? (I know I could look myself, but it's
easier to ask)

> From a gut reaction it feels cleaner to keep track of the state of the alter in ZK.

Both are incomplete.  The approaches share no code.  The conversation
Ted cites is from nearly a year ago (and is nought but our platitudes
that the authors get together on the problem which didn't happen; the
context did not help w/ one part-time on the job and the other a
summer intern).  Neither has a sponsor.  The "Online schema update" is
at least used in a few places, cautiously.  What should happen is we
should pull out both and replace with a working online schema
mechanism.  Until that happens undo at least one of them before
someone other than J-D gets hurt.  I vote for pulling  "Online schema
update".

St.Ack