hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Pull instant schema updating out?
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2012 00:45:52 GMT
Agree about pulling out something that is broken.

However, it should at least be possible to update
via the shell parameters such as split threshold with instantaneous
effect and no region offlining. I've encountered situations where it is really necessary to
be able to alter the attributes of existing tables without the "disruptions in the force"
of a rolling cluster configuration update. Things like adjusting the split threshold of a
table growing a lot larger than anticipated (while obviously given the write rate region availability
is important).

I don't have an opinion about addition or removal of column families, but online CF addition
could be useful when evolving application design yet maintaining high availability.

Best regards,

    - Andy