hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: DISCUSS: Have hbase require at least hadoop 1.0.0 in hbase 0.96.0?
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 07:59:40 GMT
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Nicolas Spiegelberg
<nspiegelberg@fb.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering why HDFS security support should be mandatory?  Append makes
> sense because there's no way to have a durable system without it.
> Security is currently an optional feature & implemented as an HBase
> co-processor (vs core), correct?  Is there a problem (other than minor
> inconvenience) with using introspection APIs for security in the core and
> then warning if security is enabled but the API is unreachable?

We could try and do that.

The proposal is about pulling up the bottom end on the hadoop's we
will run on going forward.  If all hadoop's from 1.0.0 on have
security, and we can depend on that being the case going forward, then
we could do things like ship a single artifact rather than the two we
currently ship; one that does not depend on a secure hadoop and
another that requires it.

I forgot that 0.22 hadoop doesn't have security.  Would suggest that
we drop support for it too in 0.96 hbase.

St.Ack