hbase-dev mailing list archives

From yuzhih...@gmail.com
Subject Re: Suggestion regarding LB.randomAssignment()
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2012 14:23:04 GMT
Anoop:
Can you file a Jira ?

Thanks

On Mar 2, 2012, at 5:19 AM, Anoop Sam John <anoopsj@huawei.com> wrote:

> Hi Devs,
> In LB there is randomAssignment(List<ServerName> servers) API which will be used
by AM to assign
> a region from a down RS. [This will be also used in other cases like call to assign()
API from client]
> I feel it would be better to pass the HRegionInfo also into this method. When the LB
making a choice for a region
> assignment, when one RS is down, it would be nice that the LB knows for which region
it is doing this server selection.

> While one RS down, we wanted the regions to get moved to other RSs but a set of regions
stay together. We are having custom load balancer but with the current way of LB interface
this is not possible. Another way is I can allow a random assignment of the regions at the
RS down time. Later with a cluster balance I can balance the regions as I need. But this might
make regions assign 1st to one RS and then again move to another. Also for some time period
my business use case can not get satisfied.

> Also I have seen some issue in JIRA which speaks about making sure that Root and META
regions always sit in some specific RSs. With the current LB API this wont be possible in
future.