hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [proposal] Findbugs to 0 policy in trunk once we get to findbugs 0. (HBASE-5589)
Date Sun, 25 Mar 2012 01:57:21 GMT
I think you mean HBASE-5598 ;)

________________________________
 From: Jonathan Hsieh <jon@cloudera.com>
To: dev@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:38 PM
Subject: [proposal] Findbugs to 0 policy in trunk once we get to findbugs 0. (HBASE-5589)

Hey all,

I brought this up in jira (HBASE-5589) and stack suggested posting to dev@,
so here's a proposal

Currently we are somewhere around the 770 warnings/errors mark on trunk,
and our hadoopqa bot will soon start complaining again as code gets checked
in.  Since many patches in flight and since it may be a bit onerous for
committers to enforce a no new findbugs policy right away, what do you all
think about committers enforcing a no-new-findbugs errors policy on
reviews once
this we finally get the findbugs warnings to 0?

To knock down the findbugs violation number, we should probably chop this
into subtasks to break down the workload.  Ideally we'd first fix
warnings/errors, and then for remaining spurious warnings (like System.exit
in some tools), we use an excludes file as opposed to marking up code with
findbugs-specific annotations since this may require the inclusion of a GPL
licensed jar. (On a previous project, the findbugs annotation jar was GPL'd
which causes license problems, maybe different now).

Sound good?

Jon

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)