hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: HBASE Code format
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2012 16:00:10 GMT
Put me in the I-couldn't-care-less camp :) 80, 100, 120, or even no limit is fine with me.
Would personally prefer no limit. Instead leave it up to the good taste of the contributors
and us committers to format the code in the most readable way.

-- Lars

________________________________
 From: Laxman <lakshman.ch@huawei.com>
To: dev@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 10:17 PM
Subject: HBASE Code format

Hi Devs,

How about raising the "max line width" from 80 (to 100 or 120)?
IMO, 80 characters length is too low & it makes the code bit ugly.

Example:
    long timstamp = conf.getLong(TIMESTAMP_CONF_KEY,
System.currentTimeMillis());

Above code snippet after formatting, it turned to

    long timstamp = conf
        .getLong(TIMESTAMP_CONF_KEY, System.currentTimeMillis());

Please respond with your opinion considering the following points.

- Sun Java coding standards drafted in 1999
- Terminals(Monitors) we are using now are very wider and 80 characters is
not a valid limit anymore.
- As per Ted, Google raised this limit
[https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-5564]

Note: We don't need to reformat entire codebase. My proposal is to apply
these standards to new code getting commited.

--
Regards,
Laxman