hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Rodionov <vrodio...@carrieriq.com>
Subject RE: Scan performance on a big table as combination of multiple logic tables
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2012 00:11:49 GMT
10 tables are fine. 1000 are not, especially when one does table pre-splitting to increase
write perf.

Too many regions kill HBase.

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com
e-mail: vrodionov@carrieriq.com

From: Jacques [whshub@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:45 PM
To: dev@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: Scan performance on a big table as combination of multiple logic tables

Out of curiosity,  what do you perceive as the benefit to having only one
table?  Are there reasons that you think one table would perform better
than a few?

If you're splitting data within a table because you'd otherwise have
millions of tables, I understand that and would concur with Vladimir's
approach below.  However, if you're really looking at 10 tables versus one
table, it seems like HBase is built exactly to make that work well (rather
than having to make all sorts of application level code to do what HBase
already does).

thanks,
Jacques