hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Rodionov <vrodio...@carrieriq.com>
Subject RE: Scan performance on a big table as combination of multiple logic tables
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 22:26:33 GMT
I think having unique row-prefix for every table is a standard way of storing multiple virtual
tables inside one BigTable's table
You get data locality per every virtual table and in this case you can easily specify start
and stop rows for a Scan.

Assigning separate  CF to a virtual table is a bad idea because you will get data from different
virtual tables mixed as since
CF comes after row-key in default BigTable (HBase) comparison routine.

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com
e-mail: vrodionov@carrieriq.com

From: Pan, Thomas [thpan@ebay.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:57 PM
To: dev@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Scan performance on a big table as combination of multiple logic tables

Since Hbase is tailored to handle one table very well, we are thinking to put multiple tables
into one big table but on different column family sets. Our use case is full table scan against
single column value filters. As records from different "logical tables" are at different column
families, could we speed up the scan performance by simply checking the column family referenced
by these single column value filters first before really going through all the underlying
K-V pairs? It would be great if the Hbase code is already coded that way.

$0.02,
Thomas