hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Spiegelberg <nspiegelb...@fb.com>
Subject Re: LIRS cache as an alternative to LRU cache
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2012 17:01:56 GMT
We had the author of LIRS come to Facebook last year to talk about his
algorithm and general benefits.  At the time, we were looking at
increasing block cache efficiency.  The general consensus was that it
wasn't an exponential perf gain, so we could get bigger wins from
cache-on-write intelligence, in-memory data compression techniques, and
adding stats so we could understand how to tune the existing LRU
algorithm.  I still think that these 3 goals are more important at the
moment because LIRS would be a decent bit of code and only incremental
gain.  It's probably something to revisit in a year or two.

Nicolas