hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Scan performance on a big table as combination of multiple logic tables
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2012 22:13:32 GMT
On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Mikael Sitruk <mikael.sitruk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > If so beside the collection time is there
>> > any impact (perhaps the documentation should be updated too)?
>>
>> Collection time? You mean GC? Sorry I don't get what you mean.
>>

> *Sorry, typo mistake (from mobile) I meant compaction not collection

Ah! Well there's a ton of impacts starting from having less regions :)
But definitely compactions will take a lot longer the bigger the
regions are since more and more is done in a single process. The
documentation could definitely have more info on that.

>> > Regarding the number of regions you have (14,398) is it for a single RS?
>> > What is your number of RS?
>>
>> Currently 91 in that cluster. It varies :)
>>
>> We have >200 tables coming all in different sizes.
>
> *Not clear, 91 rs, and 14398 regions in total? Or per RS?

Oh sorry, total. 14k on a single RS is impossible/suicide if you have
any data in there because it would OOME trying to load the indexes
(better in 0.92 tho).

J-D