hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: HBase wire compatibility
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2012 01:10:52 GMT
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Jimmy Xiang <jxiang@cloudera.com> wrote:
> It is a good idea to swat team it or hackathon.

Little code has been written at hackathons in the past so it would
need to have a bit of a different format.

Or we just divvy up the work (I could do the migration of .META. and
-ROOT- to pb and of zk persistence to pb if wanted).

> We'd like to start with phase 1 at first, then phase 2.
>
> The purpose is to reduce/eliminate the operation interruption.  We need to
> start from somewhere.

Agree.

Phase 2 seems just as bad as a disruption as phase 1 or am I reading
it wrong; i.e. its another singularity that can't be crossed w/o a
restart of all servers.

I suppose I'm wondering if we think we can nail phase 1 and phase 2
within a single release cycle; then the two singularities are
experienced as one during a single upgrade.

St.Ack