hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: loading Hadoop native libraries in HBase unit tests
Date Sat, 11 Feb 2012 04:52:01 GMT
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Mikhail Bautin
<bautin.mailing.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We currently do not enable native Hadoop libraries in unit tests (at least
> when running on Hadoop QA), but we do use them in production.  Should we
> try to close this discrepancy between tests and production? Some possible
> approaches would be:
>
>   - Enable native libraries by default (e.g. import libhadoop.so into a
>   special location in the HBase repository and add
>   -Djava.library.path=/that/path to unit test JVM options).
>   - In addition to the above, modify some unit tests (e.g. those using
>   Gzip compression) to run both with and without native libraries enabled
>
> Please let me know if this sounds reasonable.

We used to be careful w/ native libs to ensure they were present and
hbase would use them if available but we let that drop a couple of
versions ago and haven't picked it up since.  Thanks for reviving them
Mikhail.  I can help making sure works on apache build box.

St.Ack