hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Scan performance on a big table as combination of multiple logic tables
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 22:02:09 GMT
Hi Thomas,

The issue with combining multiple tables into different CFs of one
table is that the tables will get tied together for flush/compact
operations. If the workload between them differs significantly you
might introduce bad inefficiency for one or the other. See HBASE-3149.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Pan, Thomas <thpan@ebay.com> wrote:
> Since Hbase is tailored to handle one table very well, we are thinking to put multiple
tables into one big table but on different column family sets. Our use case is full table
scan against single column value filters. As records from different "logical tables" are at
different column families, could we speed up the scan performance by simply checking the column
family referenced by these single column value filters first before really going through all
the underlying K-V pairs? It would be great if the Hbase code is already coded that way.
> $0.02,
> Thomas

Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera