hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: loading Hadoop native libraries in HBase unit tests
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 06:02:03 GMT
On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Mikhail Bautin
<bautin.mailing.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> One difficulty with simply importing libhadoop.so into HBase codebase is
> that the dynamic library is probably a bit different for different versions
> of Hadoop. Is there a way to pull the .so file from Maven for the
> configured Hadoop version? Ideally this should be done in a
> platform-independent way, too, but making it work on Linux would be the
> first step.

I'm pretty sure it'll be next to impossible to do that reliably. There used
to be a time when folks wanted to use Maven for the native artifacts,
but to the best of my knowledge that has been deemed to be
"not such a good idea" (tm) after all.

In fact if you look at Maven plugins dealing with native side of things pretty
much most of them seem to be abandoned at this point.

Personally, working with Maven has made me realize that the only
reliable way to deal with external dependencies on native artifact
is to depend on source artifact and always do the compilation
during your own build. You mileage may, of course, vary.

Thanks,
Roman.