hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jagane Sundar <jag...@sundar.org>
Subject Detecting HBase cluster idle
Date Sun, 19 Feb 2012 00:57:53 GMT
Hello HBase gurus,

I have a question - can I use the metric 'Cluster Requests (R)' published by the HBase Master's
metrics system to detect whether a cluster is idle or not? Upon first blush this seems like
a good idea, but without knowledge of HBase internals, I am not sure that there aren't any
internal housekeeping requests that will be reported as part of this metric.

The end goal is to be able to detect an idle HBase cluster and shut it down. 'Idle' meaning
the user, or any application that the user has developed, are not making any requests to the
HBase cluster.

Thanks in advance,
Jagane