hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Yu <yuzhih...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ANN: The third hbase 0.92.0 release candidate is available for download
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 04:10:07 GMT
>> even if we label it as an alpha initially for 0.92.0
With 0.90 stable release present, I doubt many people would want to try out
an alpha 0.92 release.

My feeling about 0.92 release is ambivalent. On the one hand, I want to see
the release of 0.92.0 since we have all put so much energy into it. On the
other hand, I would like 0.92.0 to reach Beta quality.

I suggest getting HBASE-5081 and HBASE-5120 into the next 0.92 RC.

Cheers

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Ted Yu <yuzhihong@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I agree with Todd that we should cover the scenario where there're many
> > regions.

> had
> > in 90.
> > We have better tools, yes.
> > Would they solve the known / potential problems ? I don't think we have
> > enough cases to prove that.
>
> Maybe not... but I don't think it's particularly worse off than 0.90.x
> in this regard either.
>
> I won't vote +1 on the release since I haven't had time to pound on it
> personally. But I generally think that we need to just get this thing
> out there, even if we label it as an alpha initially for 0.92.0, beta
> for 0.92.1, or whatever. Remember when we wanted to get 92 out for
> Hadoop World?
>
> -Todd
>

> > On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 7:36 PM, Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com> wrote:

> >> That doesn't help the folks who will be upgrading from an existing
> >> cluster and still have too-many regions. We've got some merge hacks
> >> but nothing super-easy to use yet. So I think we have to expect that
> >> some folks will have lots of regions for a little while yet.
> >>
> >> Given that people have been testing w/o the TimeoutMonitor, I think we
> >> should leave these confs as they are in the current 92 rc and not futz
> >> too much. If stuff gets stuck in transition we at least have decent
> >> visibility and fix tools compared to what we had in 90.
> >>
> >> -Todd

> >> disabler
> >> >>>

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-5119?focusedCommentId=13179176&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13179176

 If it