hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Uber race between the balancer and parents that haven't been cleaned?
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2012 01:28:15 GMT
Hey devs,

There's been a lot of work recently on the master so I'm writing here
instead of opening a new jira since it might already be fixed or under
review.

Right now it's possible to get split parents stuck in PENDING_CLOSE
simply by trying to balance them. Looking over the 0.90 code, we don't
remove the parent from AssignmentManager.servers until
CatalogJanitor.cleanParent() calls AssignmentManager.regionOffline()
BUT HMaster.balance() calls AssignmentManager.getAssignments() which
uses AssignmentManager.servers.

Basically the issue is that a parent is considered well and assigned
until it gets cleaned up, which means that it's also considered during
reassignment.

Am I crazy or it's really the case?

Thx,

J-D