hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: hbase 0.94.0
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2012 05:13:51 GMT
(Replying in one mail to a couple of points raised above in this thread)

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 9:37 AM, lars hofhansl <lhofhansl@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'd say we branch as soon as we identify a large feature that should not be in 0.94or
by the end of February, whatever comes first.
> That way we keep the committers work to a minimum as long as possible. Just my $0.02.

Above sounds good to me (Would suggest its how to how the RM wants to run it).

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Jesse Yates <jesse.k.yates@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking something pluggable on both sides of the upgrade, so people can go from
version X->Y, rather than having to upgrade first to an intermediate and then to he version
they want (right it would be going from 0.20->.92->.96, IMO an excessive PITA).

-1 on our working on stuff to make it easier to skip intermediary
versions.  Migrations are hard enough going between particular
versions already.  Support for skipping versions seems like a waste of
our time (For the historians in the audience, see our migration doc.
'General Migration Notes' [1] where we are explicit that you must step
up through the versions -- you can't skip versions upgrading).

I agree that v1 hfile should go (and all the other stuff deprecated in
0.90.x/0.92.x while we're at it) but Matt brings up critical point
that we'd need to check there are no v1 files before we could start
0.94.  That means a migration tool/step needs to be written as you lot
speculate above (in the past we had ./bin/hbase migrate
[--check|--execute]).  We could bump our filesystem version in
hbase.version when done so we don't start a 0.94 on a datadir that
accidently has v1 hfiles around.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Matt Corgan <mcorgan@hotpads.com> wrote:
> On a slightly different topic, is there anything in 0.94 that breaks wire
> compatibility with 0.92?  If not, then it seems like a waste of a rare
> opportunity to break wire compatibility!

Smile.  Agreed.

St.Ack
1. http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/HowToMigrate