hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: hbase 0.94.0
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2012 16:42:57 GMT
On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:
>>
>> -1 on our working on stuff to make it easier to skip intermediary
>> versions.  Migrations are hard enough going between particular
>> versions already.  Support for skipping versions seems like a waste of
>> our time (For the historians in the audience, see our migration doc.
>> 'General Migration Notes' [1] where we are explicit that you must step
>> up through the versions -- you can't skip versions upgrading).
>
> Yes and no... from our CDH perspective, if 0.94.x is out by the time
> we need to get CDH4 "GA", then we'll skip from 0.90.x in CDH3 to
> 0.94.x in CDH4, and hence we need an upgrade path. So if upstream
> doesn't support it, we'll have to hack it in as a CDH special. That's
> fine -- but if there's no change that forces us to break
> compatibility, why break it?

I'm not advocating breaking anything.

I'm suggesting we not spend time ensuring upgrades can skip versions
citing in justification a principal of ours regards upgrades (We can
discuss changing the principal....).

In this particular case, there was no explicit migration step needed
going 0.90 to 0.92.  Upgrading from 0.90 to 0.94 should just be
running the 0.92 to 0.94 migration script (if there is one).

St.Ack