hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: ANN: The third hbase 0.92.0 release candidate is available for download
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 03:36:09 GMT
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 7:16 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcryans@apache.org> wrote:

> I would also suggest a third option that seems like a stretch but
> could be workable:
>
> - MAX_FILESIZE is 4x bigger so users are less likely to have a huge
> number of regions (plus all our education), so the TM is less likely
> to cause damage and could be very useful. What I mean is 5119 could be
> committed but not 5120 for 0.92.0

That doesn't help the folks who will be upgrading from an existing
cluster and still have too-many regions. We've got some merge hacks
but nothing super-easy to use yet. So I think we have to expect that
some folks will have lots of regions for a little while yet.

Given that people have been testing w/o the TimeoutMonitor, I think we
should leave these confs as they are in the current 92 rc and not futz
too much. If stuff gets stuck in transition we at least have decent
visibility and fix tools compared to what we had in 90.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera