hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Hsieh <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: hbase 0.94.0
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2012 14:42:20 GMT
Can you help me understand the significance cutting the branch a month from
now? As a strawman -- now that 0.92 is out (and ideally just getting fixes
and supportability improvements instead of new features), why don't we cut
a branch even earlier and then just bring in the features we decide get
into 0.94 branch as they land?

Here's a rough pro/con, interested in learning about more opinions:

Pros:
It would allow the release manager to better manage scope and be more
selective on which features make it in sooner.
It would allow other features large features like the beginnings of
wire-compatiblity (maybe one of the major 0.96 goals) to start landing in
trunk sooner as 0.94 branch gets filled.

Cons:
More work for committers when code wants to land in multiple branches.
Possible divergence if the current wish list features take longer to land
than the 0.96 wishlist.

Jon

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)