hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Yates <jesse.k.ya...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Limited cross row transactions
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 21:33:04 GMT
Lars,

This sounds pretty cool. I'd be all for it.

+1 for leveraging up most of the existing features.

Do I sense a megastore implementation side project somewhere in the future?

- Jesse Yates

Sent from my iPhone.

On Jan 17, 2012, at 1:27 PM, lars hofhansl <lhofhansl@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I just committed HBASE-5203 (together with HBASE-3584 this implements atomic row operations).
> Although a relatively small patch it lays the groundwork for heterogeneous operations
in a single WALEdit.

> The interesting part is that even though the code enforced the atomic operation to be
a for single row, this is not required.
> It is enough if all involved KVs reside in the same region.
>
> I am not saying that we should add any high level concept to HBase (such as the EntityGroups
of Megastore).

> But, with a slight addition to the API (allowing a grouping of multiple row operations)
client applications have all the building blocks to do limited cross row atomic operations.
> The client application would be responsible for either correctly pre-splitting the table,
or a custom balancer has to be provided.

> The operation would fail if the regionserver determines that it would need data from
multiple region servers.

> I think this needs at least minimal support from HBase and cannot (efficiently or without
adding more moving parts) by a client API only.