hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: hbase 0.94.0
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2012 19:27:57 GMT
> Dare I mention secondary indexes for 0.96?

You can. :-) But what does that mean? Is there a specific JIRA that describes the scope of
it?

I've been around the block a bit with this. Jon Gray and I talked about it last year, at the
time the notion was "eventually consistent secondary indexing via WAL overloading". (About
that fuzzy, alas.) I asked a Trend team to work on it. Unfortunately the result was not of
satisfactory quality. Then I thought about doing the work myself. However if we are already
"eventually consistent" then why not use something like ElasticSearch as an indexing service
that can be shared between HBase based applications and others that have nothing to do with
HBase? Something akin to what the Lily guys did but without the serialization. Anyway, that
is my current thinking. If there were a native secondary indexing facility in HBase, we'd
definitely use it, but if there isn't, that is ok too.

Best regards,

    - Andy