hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Yu <yuzhih...@gmail.com>
Subject trip report for Hadoop In China
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 18:36:20 GMT
Hi,
There were around 1000 attendees for the first day of HiC.
The enthusiasm for cloud computing, hadoop in particular, was overwhelming.

Doug Cutting's keynote was well received by attendees.
**Grzegorz's presentation about latest development @ Google, Pregel in
particular, was impressive.
Xiaodong Zhang's keynote about DOT, an analytical model, was interesting.

I listened to several presentations. Here're a few:

Zheng Shao talked about Puma3 architecture which his group developed at
Facebook
Jerry and Liyin talked about how Facebook messaging uses Hbase. Jerry
covered some best practices in using Hbase. Liyin talked about some
features developed by their team, including Hfile V2, new bloom filters, etc
Jinglong Liu from Baidu talked about how his team implemented compression
in hdfs (this is not RAID).

I met with developers / managers from Taobao, Huawei, Renren (Chinese
version of Facebook), etc and shared experience using HBase.

You can find the complete listing of talks here:
http://hic2011.hadooper.cn/dct/page/65580

On my way back, I met Doug Cutting at the airport.
He endorsed the idea of promoting committers from China so that hadoop
community would have organic growth.

I didn't take detailed notes. So please find the slides from hadooper.cn

Thanks