hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: ANN: The first hbase 0.92.0 release candidate is available for download
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2011 02:44:38 GMT
On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:
>> The first hbase 0.92.0 release candidate is available for download:
>>  http://people.apache.org/~stack/hbase-0.92.0-candidate-0/
> Took RC0 for a spin in Bigtop. Here are the findings so far:

Thanks Roman.

>  1. tarball has an extra level of subdirectories. this is subtle,
>  because that level happens to be a ./ but it can trip up tar
>  in certain situations so perhaps its better to fix it (I suspect
>  changes are required at the level of assembly spec).

I made an issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-4922.
This might be enough to sink the RC but lets let it hang out there a
while so we accumulate some more issues before we go cut another.

>  2. This is an extreme nitpick, but it would be nice to have
>  executable bit set ONLY on real executables (things in bin/)
>  Currently it is set on docs and quite a few other things.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-4923  Will fix too when we
do a new RC (this don't look too good)

>  3. This is a little bit more sinister and it is not clear what
>  the resolution path here is. When compiled against .23
>  the MiniMRCluster dependency latches onto artifact
>  hadoop-mapreduce/test. There are 2 problems with that:
>    1. this works only accidentally (but as long as it does
>    may be it is fine) since we don't have an explicit
>    dependency on hadoop-mapreduce test artifact (nor
>    should we, I think!).
>    2. MiniMRCluster from there is soon to be deprecated
>    (MAPREDUCE-3169) ans HBaseTestingUtility should
>    really transition onto using MiniMRClientClusterFactory
>    to get a MiniMRCluster.

This I don't think should sink the RC but we need to fix it soon anyways.

>> I've posted a secure and an insecure tarball.  Pick your poison.
> Are there instructions on how to play with secure tarball posted
> somewhere? Deployment, etc?

We're rattling that bush over in another thread.

Thanks for taking her for a spin Roman,

View raw message