hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: hbaseblog content
Date Mon, 26 Dec 2011 23:52:37 GMT
On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 2:29 AM, Mikael Sitruk <mikael.sitruk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I also saw the hbaseblog.com  referenced in JIRA, especially when I was
> looking for coprocessor documentation/design and was unable to find
> something.
> So first is there an "official" place to get coprocessor documentation
> (design, usage)?

The 'design' is up in the JIRAs.

The high-level overview and some usage was up on hbaseblog (Mingjie,
do you have the original content?  Perhaps we could rehydrate your
articles as content in hbase book?)

> Generally (and please do not understand me wrong - I'm not criticizing
> anyone)

We ain't so sensitive that you need to preface your remarks so Mikael (smile).

>  shouldn't development document, architecture design be in the
> wiki/official hbase site instead of pointers to external blog, or in JIRA?

Yes.

IIRC, it was done as wiki article before it was committed to code-base.

> Last, don't you think that there should be different documentation pages
> for different version of HBase, like it is done for hadoop, or pig?

Again yes.  There is version documentation that ships with each hbase
release and then there is keeping these versions up on the website.
Its the latter to which I believe you refer.

We used do this keeping all versions of api doc up on the website.
After the switch to maven where we started to use it to generate our
site, we got lazy about keeping up old versions; rare did we change
major versions so it mattered little.  Around the same time as our
switch to maven, we moved to use docbook instead of xdoc+wiki keeping
up our documentation.  We've been busy back-filling out the reference
guide -- well, Doug has mostly -- with explanation and for the most
part its been non-version specific, or rather its all been about
version 0.90.x HBase, but that is starting to change now that 0.92.0
is looming.  For 0.92.x specifics we've been adding 'since version
X.X.X' above the sections that are 0.92.x particular.  This will start
to breakdown as the versions diverge.

We'll do a better job going forward.

St.Ack
St.Ack