hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: isRegionName logic in HBaseAdmin
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2011 04:27:03 GMT
On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Shrijeet Paliwal
<shrijeet@rocketfuel.com> wrote:
>  private boolean isRegionName(final byte [] tableNameOrRegionName)
>  throws IOException {
>    if (tableNameOrRegionName == null) {
>      throw new IllegalArgumentException("Pass a table name or region name");
>    }
>    return !tableExists(tableNameOrRegionName);
>  }

The above is a bit crass for sure; if not a table name, it MUST BE a
region name.

> What do others think about changing this logic? I do not have enough
> insight to propose an alternative.

Should we next go look for a region in .META.?  Or do this optionally?
 Make new methods isTableName and isRegionName with each doing looksee
if table/region exists?

Open to any suggestion....

St.Ack