hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Code review request for hbase-4120 table priority
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2011 00:55:55 GMT
On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:

> HBase as a project should not have as a criteria for inclusion of some feature that
Cloudera and SU and Facebook run it. Core managed to escape Yahoo. Let's not run history in
reverse here in HBase land. And, actually, this makes it worse, because the the occurrence that
a number of core HBase users (multiple) will all need something is substantially less likely
than if one might find it useful; or, maybe, only users outside of those with such self-appointed
attitude, yet perhaps a community multiples in size of "core users".

It's not about Cloudera/SU/FB - it's about code that will be supported
by people who are committed to the project. TrendMicro certainly fits
the bill. I of course mean no offense to Lu Jia, but neither he nor
Taobao has made continued contributions in the past - just one other
bug fix beyond the HBASE-4120 project.

If we have a few of the core people committed to running this in
production and supporting it in the future, I'm all for it (just like
I am +1 on security). I just want to avoid repeating mistakes like the
Avro server which isn't really supported despite being in our
codebase. (You'll note this was a Cloudera contribution but from a
contributor who was doing this in his spare time rather than part of
job responsibilities, and we have never run it in production
scenarios)

I am consistently conservative on what goes into the project because
we have to stand behind what we release. I certainly don't think _all_
core people should find every feature useful (eg REST and Thrift are
examples of some things which are useless to many but I think make
sense). But if _no_ core people see a feature as a requirement then
I'd rather let it bake until we have many people requesting it.
Otherwise people download HBase, try out these "fringe" features, and
get a bad taste in their mouth when they've bit-rot across several
versions of little usage.

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon