hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jagane Sundar <jag...@sundar.org>
Subject Writing the WAL to a different filesystem from the HFiles
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2011 04:06:57 GMT
Hello HBaseistas,

I have a question: Has anyone here tried to run HBase with the WAL going to one FileSystem,
and the HFiles going to another?

My casual perusal of the source code indicates that this is not possible, so I am willing
to hack a configuration option to do this and try it out.

Let me explain my motivation for trying this experiment: I want to run HBase on Amazon EC2,
with the WAL going to a HDFS on Ephemeral Storage, and HFiles going to S3.

Is this a reasonable thing to attempt? Or am I out of my mind?

Thanks in advance, and congratulations on building an outstanding piece of software.
Jagane