hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: trip report for Hadoop In China
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2011 20:50:20 GMT
Also. I was going to start separate threads but probably there is not that much to discuss
now or off-JIRA:

- I spoke with Jia Liu about HBASE-4120. After 0.92 is out I intend to champion / mentor /
co-develop 4120 and the follow on table allocation work and target 0.94 for it. I think the
RPC QoS aspect is not too controversial. The allocation/reservation aspects I'd like to aim
for a coprocessor or at least master plugin based integration so they won't impact stability
for users who don't enable it. Unlike RPC QoS I suspect the changes needed to core can be
minimized to coprocessor framework additions. Follow up in new JIRAs soon.

- I also met with the author of "CCIndex". He is still interested in pursuing an upstreaming
of this but may not have a lot of free time. The current implementation powers the data cube
product at Taobao with half a million users IIRC, but the implementation is an invasive hack
of the 0.20 core code. I think the vast majority of it is an application layer concern that
can be moved to a coprocessor implementation.  The coprocessor framework will need some modification
as well, specifically hooks for handling IOEs taken on HFile reads.   Anyway I'm going to
play around with this and follow up with a JIRA.

Best regards,

    - Andy

On Dec 7, 2011, at 4:00 AM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:

> I also attended day 1 of Hadoop in China and would add these notes:
>
> - Taobao has their own HA NameNode and is interested in contributing their changes upstream.
I spoke with a platform dev lead. I told him do so now while HA is under active development
rather than wait and miss an opportunity to participate/contribute. I need to follow up with
him with a list of active HA jiras.