hbase-dev mailing list archives

From David Engfer <david.eng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: what is fuse used for?
Date Sun, 11 Dec 2011 06:27:44 GMT
Hadoop fuse allows you to mount HDFS as a virtual unix file system (see the FUSE libraries
(filesystem in userspace)) so that normal unix commands can be used to navigate and edit the
files and directories. But this is not needed and not suggested (ESP for production); use
the hdfs CLI or API instead.

I believe it was orig created to have a simple way in development to browse hdfs, or for apps
that had to use a Linux filesystem for input/output.

With Cloudera's Hue utility, you can now more easily browse hdfs.

Thanks,
David Engfer

[sent via iPhone]